This summertime heat is getting out of hand.
But, as crazy hot as it has been, let’s not try to complain…think February!
What we can do to make it better is eat ice cream. Seriously, can you think of anything better?
I’m sure you can (don’t answer) but I bet it’s nowhere near as fun!
Get your ice cream maker out (if you don’t have one, got get one…they’re cheap and homemade ice cream is a definite showstopper when you have company). And it’s a crazy-easy way to impress your friends!
1/2 c butter
1/2 c brown sugar
2 c heavy cream
1 c milk (I used 2%)
1/2 c granulated sugar
6 egg yolks
15 vanilla Oreo cookies, chopped
* make sure your ice cream canister is totally frozen (keep it in the freezer at least overnight before starting this process).
1. In a pot, combine butter and brown sugar and melt over medium heat until it becomes a caramel.
…it’ll look like this!
2. Pour in the cream and milk and stir to combine; add the salt.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat the egg yolks (save the whites for a healthy egg white omelette that you’ll have to eat after consuming mass quantities of this ice cream).
4. Add a bit of the warm milk mixture to the eggs to temper them (you have to mix the eggs while you slowly pour a ladle-full of milk into the eggs, just to make sure you don’t cook them); pour the egg mixture back into the cream/milk mixture on the stove and stir until thickened (see the “back of the spoon trick” here)
5. These are the Oreos…just wanted to show you a picture because they are so awesome.
6. Once it’s thickened, pour the mixture through a sieve (just to catch any lumps before you process it).
7. Cool the mixture off completely – I like to keep it overnight in the fridge just to make absolutely sure it’s cold enough to put into the ice cream maker.
8. Pour into the canister part of the ice cream machine and then process for about 20 minutes (it should look like soft-serve ice cream); once it’s done, pour into another container and freeze until solid.
9. Now, take it out of the freezer for about 10 minutes to make sure it is scoopable!
Enjoy it scooped on top or in between an Oreo sandwiched with some extra caramel.
Or you can just eat it out of the tub…standing with a spoon…in front of the freezer…with a big smile on your face.
Promise…it’s that good!