Well, this looks more decadent than it is…imagine?
It’s totally easy to make and I am going to give you a gluten free and vegan option below…imagine?!?
Just remember, this is an unusual cake recipe. It makes a beautiful, “lava- like” cake where you spread the batter on the bottom of a baking dish and the pour liquid over the top (AND DON’T STIR). It bakes into a beautiful dish where the cake bakes to the top and the bottom becomes a wonderful fudgy liquid. It may look weird, but trust me, it is awesome!!
1 c flour (or use this gluten free mix)
3/4 c sugar, divided
1/4 c cocoa, divided
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c milk (or use almond milk for a vegan option)
1/4 c butter, melted (or use melted coconut oil for a vegan option)
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 c dark chocolate, chopped (use carob chips for a vegan option)
1/2 c brown sugar
3/4 c hot water
1/4 c coffee (or brandy)
1. Preheat oven to 350 and spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, 1/2 c sugar, 2 tbsp cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside
3. In a smaller bowl, mix milk, butter and vanilla and pour into flour mixture and stir to combine; pour into the baking dish.
4. Sprinkle chocolate on top of of batter.
5. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, remaining granulated sugar (1/4 c) and remaining cocoa; sprinkle over cake
6. Combine water and coffee and pour over pan but do not stir.
7. Bake for 30 minutes or until cake is firm and sauce is bubbling; spoon onto serving plates and serve with cold vanilla ice cream.
Dry ingredients in a bowl…
Mix it together with a fork and add the cake batter liquid and stir (no mixer required!!)
You can use a square baking dish as described above or you can divide the batter into 6-7 ramekins, spoon about 2 tbsp each of the sugar topping over the batter and then spoon about 3 tbsp of the liquid over the sugar…bake for about 25 minutes!
Use this almond milk instead of regular milk.
Use melted coconut oil instead of butter.
Use the gluten free blend on the blog.
Ooooooooo…now, be honest, does this look like a gluten free vegan dessert?
Get outta town!!!