Think Autumn…think warm sweaters…think bonfires….think apple pie.
That was all good until I said apple pie, right? The thought of making an apple pie kinda freaked you out a little, right?
Although apple pie should not be intimidating, it is for many. So, if you want to be “apple pie savvy”, start small…start simple…start right here.
Make these squares. It’ll boost your kitchen confidence so high that you’ll be hankering to make pie in no time flat!
They are easy as pie!
3 c flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 c butter, room temperature
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c sugar
1 1/2 sliced almonds
1 c apple jelly or white grape jelly
4 apples (approx 2 c sliced apples)
1. Preheat oven to 350 and line a 9X13 ” pan with parchment; set aside.
2. In a bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, salt and baking powder; set aside
3. In another mixing bowl, cream together butter and both sugars until light and creamy; add the eggs and beat again; scrape down the sides and beat again.
4. Add the flour mixture and mix again until incorporated; add the sliced almonds and gently mix again.
5. Find your jam and microwave it until until is is a bit melted (about 1-2 minutes); mix in the apples
6. Press half the dough mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan and then spread the apple mixture over the top.
7. Now drop handfuls of the remaining dough over the apples until it is all used up.
8. Bake for about 25 – 30 minutes or until is is golden.
9. Cool (or not!) and cut into squares. Serve with a scoop of ice cream!!