I’m fairly certain you have all had a burrito (uh, life changing for me).
Have you heard of burrito bowls? (uh, game changing for me).
I was in Arizona with my son’s soccer team last year and had a burrito bowl at one of Chipotle Restaurant’s locations…it was pretty amazing!
It’s everything in a burrito but without the tortilla wrap …and unless you are eating on the fly, why consume the extra carbs and calories in the tortilla when you already have them in the rice?
The components are things you probably have in your fridge or are easy to grab at the grocery store. And, if you use lean ground beef or chicken and go heavy on the veg, it’s a pretty healthy meal.
My version has (layered in this order):
– rice and beans mixture (saute chopped onion in some olive oil, add a can of black beans, throw in some cooked rice and season with salt, pepper and cumin)
– lean ground beef browned with a few spoonfuls of salsa and hot sauce
– chopped avocado
– shredded lettuce
– shredded cheddar
– chopped cilantro
– chopped green onions
– chopped red onion
– a drizzle of chipotle crema
Pretty easy, huh?
Everything is “throw together” easy except for the chipotle crema…but that’s easy too!
All you need is something creamy and something “chipoltey” (is that even a thing?)
I used a scoop (about 1/2 cup) of cottage cheese that I had in the fridge with about 4-5 squirts of this chipotle hot sauce. Here are some other options:
– for the creamy component: cottage cheese, plain yogurt, sour cream, cream cheese, mayonaise (although mayo will be rich and would be my last choice)
– for the chipotle component: chipotle hot sauce (look for it where you would get sauces/ketchup at the grocery store or in the Mexican food isle), one canned chipotle pepper (look for chipotle in adobe sauce, canned in the Mexican isle), or chipotle powder (in the spice isle)
Just take your 2 ingredients and blend in a blender or with a hand blender; add some water to thin it out if you are using a thick cream base (like cream cheese).
Once it is blended, you can just drizzle it with a spoon or put it into a squeeze bottle and drizzle away.
Restaurant quality burrito bowl without the restaurant price.
Good on ya!
Eat your heart out Chipotle Restaurants…we got this one!!