Hot breakfast cereal.
Call it what you want, but this is one of the most tummy warming ways to start a cold winter morning.
Actually, it’s a great way to start any morning because it’s nutritious, it’s belly-filling (which means your stomach won’t growl during your annual job review this week…uhh, awkward) and it’s nostalgic.
I mean, doesn’t every kid remember having this before school?
Every kid except me?
I mean, who’s kidding who? I’m Italian. I had toast with Nutella.
Belly filling (and healthy)? No
But, I am re-writing history by re-visiting this classic and making it a whole lot easier for everyone to enjoy. Yes, you can buy those individual packs that are ready in 2 minutes but I will not be the person who is responsible for your sadness when you find out they are not the Wheeties of your breakfast dreams. They are filled with things you won’t be happy about.
So, why not make your own?
These are a blank slate so you can add whatever flavours you – and everyone else that lives under your roof – choose!
You just need a trusty old crock pot (and, ever since the instant pot craze, the price of slow cookers has come down significantly…in case you don’t have one already!!), some steel cut oats (they look like this below) and a few other things to make this one of the most hearty and healthy breakfasts around.
Now, just so that you can see the difference, below is a pic I took of regular (large flake) oats. They are super yummy and cook much faster than the steel cut oats, but I like the nuttiness that comes from the steel cut oats. And, because they take longer to cook, this overnight method works like a charm!!
When you wake up to a bowlful of this goodness, you’ll be hard pressed to go back to your regular breakfast!
With a drizzle of almond butter, some chopped nuts and some bruleed bananas (literally a frozen banana cut in half, sprinkled with coconut sugar and torched!), this bowl full of goodness carried me all the way to my mid-afternoon snack. I think this can single-handedly help you lose weight. No promises but, heck, we’ve tried everything else, right? At least this is a yummy option than that poopy flavoured green powder you put in your morning smoothie.
Am I right?
Give it a shot…and let me know what flavour combinations are your favorites!!!
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 7 cups water
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 scoops protein powder
- 1/4 cup almond (or peaunut) butter
- 3 small apples, peeled, cored and diced
- Add-ins like chopped dates, chopped nuts, a swirl of extra sweetness (like brown sugar or maple syrup), additional fruit to wat with your oatmeal (like bruleed bananas – my fav!!)
- Add all ingredients to your crock pot and stir well (it’s important to stir because the protein powder and peanut butter will get clumpy as it cooks – I know this from experience!!!).Turn your crock pot on low and go to bed (that last part is a very, very, very important step!!).
- In the morning, stir it up, add your add-ins if desired and enjoy.
- This will keep in the fridge for the week but you can also freeze individual small portions in lined muffin tins…wrapped in plastic warp, you can take them to work and heat them up for a healthy snack!!
And, heeeey, did I tell you that you can freeze the leftovers? In lined muffin tins, dollop a small serving in each compartment and then freeze them so you can have a tummy full of goodness another day!!!