BAKED ZUCCHINI FRIES
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs panko is the best
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- 2 zucchini quartered lengthwise
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large eggs beaten (or two egg whites)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a cooling rack with nonstick spray and place on a baking sheet; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan and oregano; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Working in batches, dredge zucchini in flour, dip into eggs, then dredge in bread crumbs mixture, pressing to coat.
- Place zucchini onto prepared baking sheet. Place into oven and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve immediately.
If you’ve ever grown zucchini, you know how it grows…all at once!!
And, if you’re like me, you end up with a bowl of zucchini on your counter – trying to figure out how many ways you can cook it before your family realizes they don’t want any more zucchini!
But, if you make fries with it, nooooobody will complain…trust me!
4-6 small to medium zucchini
2 c all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
Generous pinch of salt
1 c white wine
3/4 c mineral water/club soda/beer
Vegetable oil for frying
Smoked paprika (optional)
Tahini dressing (optional)
1. Put enough oil in your pot to go up the sides about 2 inches; heat on high until it gets hot (about 350 on a thermometre), and use a tester to see if the oil is ready (to see if it’s hot enough, you can plop in a cube of potato or bread to see if it bubbles and floats to the top).
2. Cut the ends off of the zucchini and cut them into spears (like above).
3. In a bowl (a mason jar works well for this), combine the flour, baking powder and salt; shake well.
4. Add the liquid (wine and mineral water) and shake to combine.
5. If you are looking for an easier way to coat the spears, insert a skewer into the end of the spear and dip into the batter…
6. Put it into the hot oil and cook until brown on all sides.
7. Remove from oil and place on some paper towels; salt immediately.
Put them on a platter and sprinkle with smoked paprika and drizzle with tahini dressing if using.