If you’ve ever grown zucchini, you know how it grows…all at once!!
And, if you’re like me, you end up with a bowl of zucchini on your counter – trying to figure out how many ways you can cook it before your family realizes they don’t want any more zucchini!
But, if you make fries with it, nooooobody will complain…trust me!
This recipe is healthy because it’s baked not fried. If you’d like to try the fried version (which, trust me, you really are going to want to try too), just prep the zucchini this same way and then used my recipe for fried zucchini flowers and use the same batter to coat these and fry them up.
But we’re here today to talk about these baked ‘fries’. They are simple to make and utterly delicious!
What you’ll need:
- fresh zucchini
- bread crumbs
- parmigiano cheese
- salt and pepper (plus spices)
See! I told you it was simple!!
If you glance at the recipe, you’ll even see that there is an option to skip the flour coating step to make it a bit more light.
This recipe will be part of your summer repertoire…promise!
It’s still zucchini season guys!
Make your family happy and whip up a batch!!
BAKED ZUCCHINI FRIES
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs panko is the best
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- 2 zucchini quartered lengthwise
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (optional)
- 1 large egg beaten (or two egg whites)
- Preheat oven to 425. Coat a cooling rack with nonstick spray and place on a baking sheet; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine bread crumbs, parmesan and oregano; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- Working in batches, dredge zucchini in flour (if using – this is an optional step), dip into eggs, then dredge in bread crumbs mixture, pressing to coat.
- Place zucchini onto prepared baking sheet. Place into oven and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.