Love creme brulee? Would you love to have it for breakfast and not feel bad about it?
I vote yes.
Well, your prayers have been answered!
Follow this recipe for a quick and easy breakfast treat in a small ramekin or make it in these spoons for a buffet-worthy treat!!
Greek yogurt *
Fruit preserves (good quality store bought or homemade like this rhubarb sauce)
Sugar (you can use regular sugar but I used coconut sugar to compliment the coconut yogurt)
Berries (optional for decoration)
* I used coconut yogurt but you can use any flavour…I generally like plain yogurt but it may be too bland/bitter for this treat. If you are using plain yogurt, swirl in some agave nectar or honey to sweeten it up a bit!
1. If you are using spoons (which, btw, I picked up at a housewares store for $1 each but you can also get them in Chinatown for next to nothing!), lay them out.
2. Put a bit (about 1 1/2 tsp) of the fruit preserve/sauce in the bottom of each spoon (or in your ramekin).
3. Top it with about a tablespoon of yogurt and smooth the top
4. To marry all of the flavours in this combination, I used coconut sugar to sprinkle on top (but you can use regular sugar). I also found these organic coconut chips that you can sprinkle on top after you’ve bruleed the top….
…so just sprinkle the top with enough sugar to cover the surface like the picture above.
5. Take a kitchen torch and brulee the top until the sugar begins to bubble (or, if you are using ramekins, you can use the broiler on your oven).
6. Wait a few minutes for the sugar to harden (depending on the liquid content of your yogurt, it may not harden all the way…but it will still be great!!).
Place these beauties on a buffet table for breakfast (or even as a healthier alternative for an after dinner dessert!!).
And enjoy them…guilt free!!