When it comes to holiday feasts, the traditional turkey takes center stage. However, why not elevate the classic turkey experience with a delightful twist? Picture this: succulent stuffed turkey breast roll all wrapped around a sweet and savory stuffing of cranberries and apples, all encased in crispy bacon. This bacon-wrapped cranberry apple stuffed turkey breast roll is a showstopper that brings together the best flavors of the season in one delicious dish. It’s as easy as pie (whihc you will need too!!)!
I’m not sure how everyone is feeling about Thanksgiving this weekend…
For many of us, it will definitely look different…smaller, less people, less commotion, less mess but also less excitement, less family and less nostalgia 🙁
But, let’s look on the bright side…
It’s been a lovely year for weather (at least around here it has been) and we can all hope that this craziness will be over soon. So, until then, let’s celebrate smaller and still be grateful for what we DO have!
You can always make the traditional brussel sprouts. And, if you are a “hater”, you have to try this recipe…it’s turned so many haters into lovers!!
You can still make your table pretty but setting it with beautiful leaves and foliage you find around your home and even serve food in individual mini pumpkins like this!!
And don’t forget all the family favourites like the mashed potatoes! These are my make ahead mashed potatoes:
And, if you want to go ahead and make a whole turkey (because, you’re like me and you love leftovers!!), here are all the deets for you here:
But if you really are having a smaller meal (even just two of you), you can make this version of “small rolled turkey”!! This Stuffed Turkey Breast Roll is a perfect main dish that will shine on your holiday table and it make AAAMAZING letovers!!! Can you say “warm roast chicken sandwich”?? So good!!
Filled with a traditional stuffing and wrapped in bacon, this is even good sliced in sandwiches the next day!!
The bacon fat will keep the meat moist and add a smokey flavour profile which is epic!
If you can’t find turkey, just use chicken filet or simply cut large chicken breasts into thin pieces and overlap them! I promise, I won’t tell!
What Are We Going To Need To Make This Stuffed Turkey Breast Roll:
- boneless, skinless turkey (or chicken) breast – opt for a boneless and skinless turkey breast (I think the easiest to find in regular grocery stores in Ontario is Butterball) for easy rolling and a juicy result or even sub in chicken breast
- bacon – use good quality bacon for maximum strength when wrapping the roast
- bread – use whatever bread you have…sliced bread, day-old buns or even bagels!
- cranberries – I use dried cranberries but you can also use fresh for added tartness
- apples – my go-to is granny smith!
- walnuts – make sure they’re fresh!
- mushrooms – any fresh mushroom will do
- sage – fresh is best but dried can be used (just use less)
- olive oil
The Perfect Marriage of Flavors When You Make This Stuffed Turkey Breast Roll:
The beauty of this dish lies in the awesome blend of sweet and savory flavors. The natural sweetness of cranberries and apples adds a burst of freshness, while the savory notes from the turkey and the smoky richness of bacon create a symphony of tastes that dance on your palate. This unique combination not only satisfies those of us who are traditionalists but also offers a delightful surprise for those looking to break away from the usual holiday fare.
So there’s your re-invented Thanksgiving in a nutshell. Don’t forget the wine…you’ll be needing that. And just think…without a herd of people (many of whom you may not even get along with) around your table this year, you won’t have to add that Prozac to your turkey stuffing 😉
Cranberry and Apple Stuffed Turkey Breast Roll
- 1 package bacon (2 slices chopped and 10 slices reserved
- 2 packages turkey scaloppine (flattened turkey pieces) about 350g each
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and chopped about 1 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup dried craberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh, minced sage
- 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme, minced
- 1 cup cubed bread roughly 2-3 slices of bread
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk (you can sub in stock or even water)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- cooking twine
- Lay 2 large pieces of plastic wrap on a cutting board or work surface, and place 5 pieces of bacon on each piece of plastic wrap.
- Remove the scaloppini from one package and open them up; place them, overlapping over the bacon pieces on one of the plastic wraps, making a 12’ x 8’ square (roughly)
- Repeat with the other package of turkey and the other piece of plastic wrap with bacon.
- In a bowl, combine the apple, dried cranberries, walnuts, mushrooms, chopped bacon, rosemary, thyme, bread eggs, milk and season with salt and pepper to taste; toss until well mixed.
- Divide the apple-cranberry stuffing in half and place on top of each turkey scallopini square, and spread up to 1/4-inch from the edge.
- Roll up tightly (using the plastic wrap to guide you but removing it as you go), making sure to tuck all of the stuffing in as you roll and ensuring that the bacon is covering the entire outside of the breast roll.
- Tie both bacon covered turkey rolls with cooking twine to secure.
- Heat the oven to 350F.
- Heat olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet placed over medium-high heat; brown each turkey breast on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Place the skillet in the oven, uncovered, and roast for 30-40 minutes; allow the rolls to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing and serving.