We might be done with pumpkin (although, shout out to all my pumpkin loving peeps out there!!) but we aren’t done with apples yet!
The local apple scene is fierce. My local apple orchard – which is literally blocks away from me (I know…I’m so lucky) – is overloaded with apples right now and I just can’t get enough!
But there are so many kind of apples out there so if you’re confused about which apple to use for what, check out this post– you won’t be confused anymore!
Now, let’s get to this apple cake!! I knew that I wanted to create a recipe that was moist and filled with apple goodness (especially since I had a large jar of applesauce in the fridge and tons of fresh apples in my crisper drawer). I looked at a couple of honey cake recipes for Rosh Hashanah to see if I could add my own twist to this cake that is served during the holidays. So, adding some chopped apples to the middle of a honey cake…
…and then adding a wee bit of brown sugar to create a sweet topping…
It was a perfect balance! Not too sweet from added sugar…just letting the apples shine here and keeping it super moist!
I think it’s the great balance of spice (I added cinnamon but feel free to add cloves and nutmeg if you wat more!) and has the softest texture!!
Look at that middle!!
As we move into the holiday season, I think this cake will be a lifesaver for those of you entertaining. It can sit on the counter (well wrapped) for days and it freezer amazingly well. Heck, if you wrap up the whole thing and bring it as a hostess gift to your next gathering, YOU will be the life of the party!!!
Chunky Apple Honey Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- ½ cup honey
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ½ cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 large cooking apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 ˚F. Lightly spray a 9 x 13" baking pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and cinnamon; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together butter, sugar, and honey; add eggs and beat until combined. Mix in applesauce.
- Gradually add flour mixture and beat just until incorporated.
- Mix brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon together in a small bowl; set aside. Toss apples with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar in another bowl; set aside.
- Pour half of batter evenly into prepared pan and scatter apple/cinnamon mixture on top of batter; pour remaining batter over apples and then sprinkle brown sugar/cinnamon mixture over cake.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, cool for 10 minutes in the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once completely cool, wrap in plastic wrap to keep moist and store at room temperature for 5-7 days (can also be frozen)