Imagine a dream where you can have copious amounts of chocolate sauce – so much that your chocolate-smeared smile will be ear to ear.
But now imagine you can eat copious amounts without feeling a tinge of guilt…imagine!
When you realize this sauce has:
1. no refined sugar
2. no dairy and is vegan
3. a bit of fruit (well, sort of)
…you will climb to the hilltops and shout for joy.
Okay, maybe that’s a bit too dramatic, but, come on…chocolate, healthy, vegan, gluten free, dessert, guilt free….all in the same sentence?
1 c dates (pitted)…that’s the fruit 🙂
2 c almond milk
6 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp rice syrup (you can use agave nectar)
2-3 dried prunes (optional, but gives it a bit of an unusual sweetness)
1. Place the dates (and prunes if you’re using them) in your food processor and pulse until they are as fine as possible (if you have a high power blender – like a Vitamix – that is the best!).
2. Add about 1/2 c of the almond milk and puree again; make sure it’s as smooth as possible.
3. Add the rest of the almond milk, the rice syrup and the cocoa powder; blend again. If you aren’t using a high powered blender, you may have to strain the mixture (up to you!)
4. Pour mixture into a pot and heat over low heat until it becomes a consistent sauce (it should also thicken a bit!).
Now, do your little happy dance because you just made a bowlful of awesomeness!!
Aaaaand, you will be the neighborhood hero when you make ice cream cookie tacos to go with your awesome creation!