How often are you caught in your car, starving, hoping that you had thought enough to pack a snack? Instead, you go through the drive through and order a bagel (300 calories that will make you even more hungry after you ate it!).
So, make a bunch of these packets and keep them in your glove box (not in the summer, though…the sugar will get gummy!) or throw a couple in your bag before you leave the house.
Grab this stuff:
Raw oats (large or regular flake…not instant)
Brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
Optional add-ins (protein powder, dried cranberries, raisins, currants, goji berries, chopped dates or figs, chopped nuts, etc…you get the idea!)
Get together some snack bags (you know, the small Ziploc bags) and in each bag, put 3/4 c oats, 1-2 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tbsp chia seeds and whatever add-in you would like. The next time you go through the drive through, order yourself a coffee (or tea, or water, or your beverage of choice….do they sell wine at Tim’s?) and also ask for a small cup of hot water (small is the perfect amount for this pack) and a spoon. Pour out about 2 tbsp of water (just so you don’t have a spillover when you dump your package) and dump a pack into the cup. Put the lid back on and in about 10-15 minutes, give it a quick stir and you will have a great, “good-for-you” breakfast!
- 3/4 c oats (not instant)
- 1-2 tbsp brown sugar (or coconut sugar, which is less sweet but better for you)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp protein powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp milk powder (optional, but adds lots of creaminess)
- add-ins (like dried fruit, chopped nuts, spirulina, hemp, etc)
- small plastic snack bags
- In each snack bag, add 1/2 c oats, 1-2 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tbsp chia, 1 tbsp protein powder milk power if you are using and any other add-in you like.
- Seal the bag and keep in a cool,dark place until using.
- When you would like to make a cup of oatmeal, go through the drive through and get a cup of hot water in a medium cup (or you can do this at home in a bowl with a cover…the amount of water is about 1 1/2 cups of water).
- Pour out a glug of water to make room for the oatmeal; take the lid off and pour in the package of oatmeal and stir.
- Place the lid back on and set a timer of 10 minutes (drink your coffee while you wait!!).
- After 10 minutes, remove the lid and enjoy!!
Cheaper and way better for you than any other fast food option out there!!
Give it a try and let me know what you think. What are your favourite add-ins??