You NEED to have this recipe in your life…pronto!!! This one-skillet easy gnocchi vegan dinner is what y’all need to make you “cool night” dinners that much easier!!Jump to Recipe
Sometimes you just want a healthy dinner on the table in under 30 minutes.
Okay, all the time you want dinner on the table in under 30 minutes (and that 30 minutes should include all the chopping and stuff…’cause this isn’t the magic of television…this is real life).
But sometimes, I just draw a blank and I got nothing (yup, it happens to the best of us).
I was making dinner the other night and I started thinking about what “starch” I could make to go along with the chicken I was roasting (truth be told, I’m getting tired of potatoes…there…I said it). I went to the pantry to see what I could come up with and I found a package of store-bought gnocchi.
Eureka (or whatever y’all say when you have a moment of clarity)!!!
I don’t often buy store bought gnocchi because once I discovered how easy it was to make them with ricotta (you can see this recipe here), I figured I’d always make them from scratch. But, when I saw the packages of vacuum sealed gnocchi at the store (and noticed how shelf-stable they are), I grabbed a couple and brought them home.
I took the package of gnocchi from the pantry and pulled whatever I had out of the fridge and pantry and, what started off as a starchy side became a one skillet wonder!
Like many of my savoury dishes, this began with some olive oil and garlic (or, if you’re like me and you’ve discovered toum (Lebanese garlic sauce) you will always have some of this in your fridge and can sub it in for oil and garlic – you can find the recipe from my good friend Cosette here)…then some chopped veggies (feel free to change it up and use whatever you have on hand)
Why I Love This Easy Gnocchi Vegan Dinner:
- Quick and Convenient: This easy gnocchi vegan dinner comes together in less than 30 minutes, making it perfect for busy weeknights or last-minute dinner plans.
- Versatile and Customizable: Feel free to personalize this recipe with your favorite vegetables or herbs. You can experiment with different ingredients to suit your tastes.
- Nutrition and Flavor: It’s packed with plant-based goodness, from the gnocchi to the beans and veggies. The combination of flavors, from the earthy gnocchi to the 2 types of tomatoes and the saltiness from the parmigiano, will satisfy your taste buds and leave you craving more.
- Eco-Friendly: Going vegan with your gnocchi is an excellent way to reduce your carbon footprint and support ethical and sustainable food practices.
This dish is so simple, is full of goodness – not only is it vegan (if you don’t use the parm) but it’s chock full of vitamins and loaded with fibre and protein (thank you Mr. Legume).
I’d love for you guys to try this one out…and like I always say, make this your own. Add in your own personal touches and let me know what you come up with!
Gnocchi doesn’t have to be reserved for special occasions or restaurant outings. You can easily enjoy this delectable delight at home with a vegan twist. This Easy Gnocchi Vegan Dinner recipe is proof that plant-based eating can be both delicious and accessible. So, the next time you’re looking for a comforting and satisfying meal, give this vegan gnocchi dish a try. Your taste buds, the animals, and the planet will thank you!
One-Skillet Easy Gnocchi Dinner (Vegan and Gluten free too!)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomato, chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups tomato puree/passata (you can sub in store bought tomato sauce)
- 1 package store-bought gnocchi (you can use home made)
- 1 can (540mL) white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (you can sub in any bean of your choice)
- 1 can (540 mL) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (you can sub in any bean of your choice)
- 2 tbsp grated parmigiana cheese (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped parsley to garnish
- In a very large skillet (you can use a soup pot if you don't have a large skillet/pan) over medium heat, add olive oil and onion and red pepper and cook until soft (about 5-7 minutes); add the garlic, sun dried tomatoes and mushrooms and cook until wilted (about another 5 minutes).
- Add tomato puree/passata and stir mixture together then add gnocchi and gently stir again (add up to one more cup of water if your mixture looks to thick). Cover, lower heat to low and cook for 6-8 minutes or until gnocchi are tender.
- Add the beans and stir again. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with cheese and parsley and serve with a fresh green salad!