An absolutely HUGE tray of fresh, fudgy brownies (because, really, who is happy with a small 8×8″ tray of brownies?). This makes a cookie sheet full of brownies that is adaptable in so many ways.
- you want lemon and roasted almonds? take out coffee and walnuts, and add zest of one lemon and 1 cup almonds
- orange and hazelnuts are fantastic together…replace them for the coffee and walnuts
- kids will love this version…use pecans instead of walnuts and scatter 1/2 cup skor pieces and 1 cup mini marshmallows to top of pan before baking
- Or you can add muddled bananas, bacon pieces and peanut butter chips (and a few crushed Ferrero Rocher for good measure!) and call it the “Elvis is in the House” special
Here you go…
And, you’re welcome…
What you’ll need:
- instant coffee (really makes the chocolate shine!!)
- flour (can easily be gluten free!)
- baking powder
- and all the toppings to make them your own!!
What you can do with them:
- eat them straight up with a cold glass of milk (like, seriously the best!)
- Make them with a variety of toppings (as described above and shown below with mini M&M’s):
- Use this recipe as a base and then top with this peanut butter rice crispie mixture to make these fabulous squares:
- Make them into a parfait like these:
They’re even in the cookbook:
First, you’ll need to gather all of your ingredients:
And then it’s just a matter of mixing a bunch of things together in two stainless steel bowls (no stand up mixer required.
Bake and you are on your way to making a bunch of people happy!!
The Worlds Best Big Batch Best Brownies
- 2 cups butter unsalted is the best
- 1 lb dark chocolate or semi sweet chocolate chips about 3 cups
- 6 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup instant coffee
- 1 1/4 cup flour substitute rice flour for gluten free
- 3 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 cup milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnuts chopped (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 and line a cookie sheet (with sides) with parchment paper.
- In a big stainless steel bowl, melt butter and dark chocolate in the microwave (yes, you read it right…microwave…as long as it is stainless steel, it can go in the microwave). Heat for 2 minutes on high and stir until all is melted and smooth.
- In another bowl, combine eggs, coffee, vanilla and sugar. Whisk vigorously until combined. Add to chocolate and butter mixture and whisk again….it should be oh soooo chocolatey!
- In yet another small bowl (I know, I hate washing dishes too, but this will be worth it), combine flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk (or sift through a sieve) and add to chocolate…add chocolate chips and blend again.
- Pour into pan and smooth out. Sprinkle walnuts (if using) over top and bake in oven for 30 minutes (don’t overcook or you will lose the fudgy goodness!). Remove from oven…slice a big chunk…pour a BIG glass of milk and enjoy every bite!
*inspired by Ina Gartner