Sometimes, I just want a snack.
Like, right now…
Not potato chips, not Oreo’s, not ice cream – although any of those things would cure my “unless you fell off the treadmill and smacked your face, I don’t want to know about your workout” kind of mood .
Sometimes, I want an out-of-the-oven warm, crispy, salty snack that says “I made this for you because I love you”.
Ya hear me?
Well, listen up, ’cause I have something to tell you.
I love you.
Because, in no time flat, I can make you a snack for you that is all those things… and more.
Like, pretzels and mustard are party-in-yo-mouth good, but THESE pretzel bites AND white cheese sauce are “jeeeez, you honest to goodness love me” good.
For real though…because I used store bought pizza dough.
For real, though.
For real, dough.
Okay, I’ll stop
Just make these…seriously…
You can literally make this while you make diner because they are stupid easy.
You can even make them into big curly pretzels if you like or even stuff them with some savoury grub (I stuffed a few balls of dough with sausage and peppers and cheese, pinched it together and finished it off the same way…so good!!).
In all it’s drippy, glorious goodness!!
- 1 store bought pizza dough
- 1/3 c flour
- 2 tbsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- coarse salt
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp all-purpose flour
- ½ cup milk
- 1/2 c white cheddar cheese (or any medium white cheese), grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bring the 4 cups of water to a boil in a large shallow pan over high heat and carefully add the baking soda (be careful as it may boil over).
- Place the dough on a flat surface that is dusted with some of the flour.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a long rope about 1 inch thick.
- Cut the dough into one inch pieces to make the pretzel bites.
- Boil the pretzel bites in the water solution in batches (about 10-15 bites at a time) for about 30 seconds; remove with a large slotted spoon and place pretzel bites on a parchment covered baking sheet (make sure they are not touching).
- Brush the tops with the egg wash and sprinkle liberally with the salt; place into the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and place on a serving platter; serve with cheese sauce.
- To make the cheese sauce:
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk and cook until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Cheddar cheese until smooth and all of the cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.