Yayyyy! it’s Friday!!!!!!!
Also, we are still battling a worldwide pandemic (imagine…still!!) so the fact that it’s Friday is of no real importance.
Ya feel me? I think tonight I’m gonna shake things up and watch television from the other side of the couch.
How about you? Any crazy plans like me?
Maybe you’ll need some light reading?
Well, lucky you…I wrote a blog post (howse that for a segway?) 😉
Soooo, I’m going to change your life…well, not really in any monumental kind of way but in a way that you will be so proud of yourself.
I’m going to show you what to do with your leftover coffee grounds that have already been brewed.
Life changing, right?
Okay, maybe not (small things amuse me now after almost 12 months of this covid deal) but you’ll feel better about having a no-waste recipe up your sleeve…trust me!
So, I’m part of a challenge with a group of ladies who will all be posting their no-waste ideas next week (Antonietta from Simply Pure Simply Fresh, Julie from Jules au Jus, Nat from Sneaky Mommies, Sonia from Salt n Pepper Here and Candra from Wife of a Grocer).
We all had to come up with a way of using up food that would otherwise be thrown away and create a recipe. And since I have been drinking coffee since I was 2 years old (true story), I figured coffee had to be a part of my offering.
Every morning when I clean my percolator out (which, in my opinion is the best way to drink a hot cup of coffee), I look at those coffee grounds and think “hmmmm, I wonder what could be done with those”.
Yes you can make a face scrub (but that bathroom sink is gonna be a b*&@tch to clean)…and yes you can throw it in your garden to enrich your soil (if you don’t live in the frozen tundra like I do)…
So what’s a girl to do?
MAKE SOME NUTS!
These nuts are deeeelicious!
I looked at a ton of recipes online that are sweet and a ton that are savoury …so I married the two and came up with a perfectly balanced nut that can be eaten with dark chocolate while you sip on a digestif after dinner (yum) or can be put of a charcuterie board and eaten with cheese and olives.
I made mine in my Pampered Chef Air Fryer and they were amazing…prepped in 5 minutes and ready to eat in 7 minutes!
They are high in protein so they will keep you full waaaaay longer than a slice of pizza (trust me!) and they’ll keep in a covered container on your counter top for a couple of weeks! I’d call that a win win!
So, whip up a batch, flip on Netflix and move on over to the other side of the couch.
You wild and crazy animal, you!
Small Batch Mocha Almonds
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon consumed coffee grounds (regular ground coffee can be used)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3 cups whole almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Depending on your air fryer (you may have a basket or tray) line the tray with aluminum foil (I have a rotisserie basket, so I will line my bottom tray to catch spills)
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix egg white until foamy (but not stiff); add sugar, coffee grounds, cocoa powder and cinnamon together and stir well. Add almonds to egg white mixture and toss until fully coated. Put into air fryer basket (or alternately, spread out onto a parchment-lined lined baking tray) and place into air fryer.
- Air fry on the air fryer mode (400°F with the rotating function on if you have it) for 7-9 minutes (if you don't have the rotating function, make sure to toss almonds twice while baking).
- If you don't have an air fryer, you can bake these in a 300°F oven, on a parchment lined baking sheet, for 20-30 minutes.
- Once baked, transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet (or if they are already on a baking sheet, simply remove from oven) and leave for 10 minutes to cool.
- Store in a covered container for up to two weeks.
Found info to write up my post from these sources: