It’s Valentine’s Day this Sunday and it’s all about the love!
When I was a kid, my mom always made heart shaped meatloaf and pink mashed potatoes (I hate to say it but they weren’t coloured with beets!). Even if it wasn’t gourmet, the effort that my mom made to create a cute dinner for us was always appreciated by everyone.
When I had my own kids, they too loved any effort I made to serve up some cute “heart” food. They are all adults now, but I truly think they still love coming home to some special treats on holidays like Valentines.
Try this salad, full of hearts and love and stuff!!!!
Happy V day..make it a great one!!
- 2-3 Romaine hearts, shredded
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1-2 apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 pkg. bacon, formed into a heart shape and baked
- 1/3 c candied sunflower seeds
- ½ c feta cheese/goat cheese
- 2 chicken breasts, seasoned with salt and pepper, grilled and sliced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp yellow or dijon mustard (acts as an emulsifier)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 c balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 4 tortillas
- Olive oil
- All purpose seasoning (like Mrs. Dash)
- Combine 1st 4 ingredients for dressing in a blender and blend till smooth. Slowly add in oil while blender is running. Stir in poppy seeds; set aside
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 400; cut out heart shapes from the tortillas with cookie cutters; brush with oil, sprinkle with seasoning and bake on a cookie sheet until golden; set aside.
- On a large platter/serving dish, scatter lettuce evenly on bottom.
- Top with diced onion, peeled apple; drizzle with ¾ dressing and toss.
- Scatter cheese and sunflower seeds on top.
- Lay chicken fanned out over top and place bacon hearts around the chicken.
- Serve immediately with crisps and extra dressing on the side.