Okay fellow gardeners….
Who has too much zucchini?
You may not right now, but it’s coming…trust me!!!
I don’t know about you but, whenever I have too many zucchini on my hands, and my family is tired of ratatouille, I have to figure out what to do with all of the leftover zucchini.
When I’m in a hurry, I usually just grate it and freeze it (check out this blog post to see how it’s done!). Now, whenever I’m craving zucchini cake, I have bags of prepped grated zucchini at my fingertips!!
I’ve always made sweet zucchini cakes (like this chocolate zucchini cake) but, I wanted to switch it up a bit and that’s when the nostalgia hit me!
When I was little, my mom used to make this savoury loaf with shredded zucchini and cheese, but the base she used was Bisquick mix. So, it got me thinking…why can’t I figure this out on my own?
This is basically a quick bread, sans the sugar and with the addition of cheese. I also added some chopped green onion because they are in season now, but you could sub in minced red onion if you like. I also had some leftover cheese and onion on my cutting board so I just sprinkled it on top!
Ready for the oven….
And, would you look at this golden beauty!!!
They always look so much better in their natural habitat (aka: right in the zucchini patch!)
And, once it’s all baked up (and your kitchen smells glorious…you’re welcome!!), slice up that baby and enjoy! You can slather it with butter and munch away or you can toast it and make the best sandwich ever!! This one, below, was my breakfast… an open faced beauty topped with crumbled goat cheese, chopped tomatoes, a drizzle of olive oil and a healthy dose of sea salt and freshly grated black pepper.
What kind of sandwich would you make with this bread??
Savoury Zucchini Bread
- 1 cup grated unpeeled zucchini (about 1 large)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F and place the rack in the middle of the oven. Line a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan with parchment paper or spray lightly with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine the grated zucchini and salt. Place in a strainer and let drain for 30 minutes; then squeeze to remove as much water as possible.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and spices; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, oil and milk. Stir in the dry ingredients gently with spatula; Add the zucchini, cheese and green onions; stir again.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan (if you have some leftover grated cheese and bits of onion on your cutting board, sprinkle that on top of the loaf). Bake for about 50 minutes or until a pick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes and then invert onto a cooling rack. Slice and serve as you would bread.