Jump to Recipe
This super moist, easy to make double chocolate zucchini cake will be your saviour during zucchini season!
Finally, after what seemed like millions of loads of laundry after my return (a 2 1/2 week trip in the middle of summer/growing season is not always a good thing!), I am back! As promised, albeit a little late, here is an easy recipe to use up those last few zucchini from the garden – a sad sign that summer is coming to a close:(
What You’ll Need To Make This Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake:
- baking powder
- cocoa powder
- chocolate chips
Double Chocolate Zucchini Cake
This recipe will be your go-to during zucchini season…you can thank me later!!
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cups butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt/sour cream/buttermilk
- 1/2 cup applesauce you can use oil if you don’t have apple sauce
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cup shredded zucchini
- large handful of chocolate chips or granulated sugar optional
- Get everything ready ahead of time, and set the oven to 350. Line a 9×13 ” pan with parchment or spray with cooking spray (you can also make this in a muffin tin or mini loaf pans)
- In a mixing bowl, mix butter and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla and egg and mix again while you combine the dry stuff…
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; stir well
- Scrape down the mixing bowl and add the apple sauce and buttermilk/yogurt/sour cream; mix again.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir just until combined (it’s okay if there is still some flour showing!)
- Throw in the zucchini and mix just a couple of times and then remove and stir by hand (over-mixing here makes your cake tough)
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan…
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips (if using) and bake for 40 minutes…the top of the cake should spring back when touched with a light finger!
- Let it cool in the pan before serving…or don’t! It’s awesome warm with a scoop of cold vanilla ice cream!
NOTE: you can make this in mini loaf pans like above