This recipe for cornmeal date and almond biscotti is such a winner! The texture is just perfect (thank you, crunch cornmeal and sweet, chewy dates!!) and they are just “dry enough” to be the perfect biscotti!Jump to Recipe
When it comes to classic Italian cookies, biscotti reign supreme. These crunchy treats have a timeless appeal, and they’re so versatile. This variation, Cornmeal Date and Almond biscotti, adds a unique twist to the traditional recipe. We’ll explore the delightful world of these biscotti and learn how easy it is to make them at home. This awesome treat combines the earthy flavor of cornmeal with the sweetness of dates all wrapped up with the nutty crunch of almonds.
The Story Behind Biscotti:
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s take a moment to appreciate the history of biscotti. These Italian cookies, known for their twice-baked nature, date back to ancient Rome. The word “biscotto” even means “twice-cooked” in Italian. Biscotti were originally made for their long shelf life, perfect for travelers and soldiers. Today, they’re beloved for their satisfying crunch and versatility.
The Unique Ingredients:
These Cornmeal Date and Almond Biscotti recipe stands out thanks to its unique ingredients. Yellow cornmeal gives these cookies a rustic charm and slightly nutty flavor. Chopped dates infuse a delightful sweetness, while almonds contribute a satisfying crunch. Together, they create a symphony of flavors and textures that make these biscotti irresistible.
To make these scrumptious Cornmeal Date and Almond Biscotti at home, you’ll need the following:
- All-purpose flour
- Yellow cornmeal
- Baking powder
- Granulated sugar
- Unsalted butter
- Orange extract
- Chopped dates
- Roasted almonds
The preparation is relatively straightforward. Start by combining the dry ingredients and then creaming the butter and sugars together. Gradually incorporate the dry mixture, and finally, fold in the dates and almonds. Shape the dough into logs, bake them, slice, and bake again. The result? Heavenly biscotti that are perfect for dipping in your morning coffee or afternoon tea.
The Twice-Baked Magic:
What sets biscotti apart from other cookies is their double baking process. The first bake sets the dough, while the second bake transforms them into crispy, crunchy delights. It’s during this second bake that the biscotti’s characteristic dry texture develops, making them perfect for dunking. So, don’t skip this step; it’s where the magic happens! But having said that, I often don’t bake them twice (which I guess really makes them just a regualr cookie ;)) because they really are baked when you take them out of the oven the first time and I like them soft as well!!
Savoring the Flavors:
The beauty of these Cornmeal Date and Almond Biscotti is in the balance of flavors. The cornmeal adds a subtle earthiness and lots of texture, complemented by the sweet bursts of date and the nutty notes of almonds. Every bite is a great experience (party in the mouth) that evolves from the initial crunch to the soft, flavorful center.
Enjoying (and Storing) Your Homemade Cornmeal Date and Almond Biscotti:
Once your biscotti have cooled, it’s time to savor your homemade delights. These biscotti are perfect for pairing with your favorite hot beverage, whether it’s a strong espresso, a frothy cappuccino, or a soothing cup of tea. Dip them gently, let the flavors mingle, and enjoy the satisfying crunch as you take each bite. Share them with friends and family or keep them all to yourself for a cozy indulgence.
Cornmeal Date and Almond Biscotti are a delightful twist on a classic Italian favorite. Their unique combination of flavors and textures makes them a must-try for any cookie enthusiast. By following thissimple recipe, you can create a batch of these homemade delights to enjoy anytime. Whether you’re an experienced baker or a novice in the kitchen, these biscotti are sure to impress. Embrace the history and tradition of biscotti while savoring the delicious marriage of cornmeal, dates and almonds. Happy baking, and may your biscotti be as crunchy and flavorful as you imagined!
More Biscotti Recipes:
- Gluten Free Dark Chocolate Walnut Biscotti
- Triple Orange Dark Chocolate Spiced Biscotti
- Cappuccino Biscotti
- Double Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti
- Tuscan Cantuccini
Cornmeal Date and Almond Biscotti
- 2 1/2 cups cornmeal you can use coarse or fine – or a combination of both
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt unless you use salted almonds – in which case, you can omit the salt
- 2/3 cups butter softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- grated orange zest from one orange you can use orange extract if you don’t have oranges
- 2 cups dates pitted and chopped
- 2 cups roasted almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a large baking sheet (12″x18″) with parchment.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand up mixer, mix butter until light; then add sugar and mix again. Add eggs and orange zest and mix until combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, add in dry ingredients and then add dates and almonds and give it one more good mix.
- Add the batter to the cookie sheet, spread to the corners and bake for about 45 minutes until browned and firm to the touch
- Remove pan, let cool for a few minutes and cut into 'bars' (3 across and 12-15 down)
- Place the bars cut side up back into the pan (you'll have to do two turns at this)…bake 10 minutes for a softer cookie and 20 for a darker cookie!!
Inspired by a recipe at www.marthastewart.com