Where are all my apple lovers at?? Well you better make yourselves known because today, I want to share an incredible recipe that combines all of the comforting flavors of autumn: Crumble Topped Apple Spice Bread!! There’s something undeniably cozy about the aroma of all the fall spices and the sweetness of apples wafting through your kitchen, and this recipe captures that essence perfectly. Come along with me as we dive into the world of homemade apple spice bread topped with a mouthwatering crumble.
This Crumble Topped Apple Spice Bread Has the Essence of Fall in Every Bite!
As the leaves turn brilliant shades of red and gold, and the air becomes crisp and cool, it’s time to embrace the flavors of fall. This Crumble Topped Apple Spice Bread is the epitome of autumn in every bite. The combination of tender, spiced apples with a crumbly, buttery topping is pure magic.
Ingredients You’ll Need For These Crumble Topped Apple Spice Bread:
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- ground cinnamon
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- unsweetened applesauce
- rolled oats
Don’t Know Which Apples to Use??
If you’re worried because you don’t know which apples to pick up for this recipe, you can read all about all of the varieties (and which would be best for this recipe), right here in this post!!
So there you have it, a recipe that captures the essence of fall in every slice of Crumble Topped Apple Spice Bread. It’s a delightful treat for breakfast, brunch, or anytime you crave a cozy, homemade baked good.
Tips for The Best Crumble Topped Apple Spice Bread:
- Make sure you use the right apples! You could absolutely use other apples (like Macintosh) but they won’t stay firm after baking – but the bread will still be delicious!!
- Make sure you make it pretty! This step (of tucking in a couple of unpeeled apple slices into the top of the loaf) is optional but it makes the finished loaf oh-so-pretty!
- Don’t over mix your batter. Just mix it enough so that all the dry ingredients are worked in and you don’t see any bits of flour. Over-mixing is what tends to make quick breads tough!
- How do you keep your apples from browning? Although it doesn’t really matter if the chopped apples turn a wee bit brown before folding into the batter, this article gives you a few different ways to stop that from happening!!
What’s the Best Way of Freezing this Crumble Topped Apple Spice Bread?
If you can’t finish this loaf in a few days (and if you can’t, you just need to make more friends ;)), then you can freeze it by slicing the entire loaf into thick slices and then wrapping each slice tightly in plastic wrap. Then, place all of the individually wrapped slices into a larger freezer bag – making sure to remove as much air as possible – and place it into the freezer for up to 6 months!!
The warm spice, tender apples, and crumbly topping make this bread an irresistible treat that pairs perfectly with a cup of hot tea, coffee, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a decadent dessert. Share it with friends and family, and watch their faces light up as they take that first bite.
So, why not embrace the beauty of autumn and fill your home with the comforting aroma of spices and apples? Give this Crumble Topped Apple Spice Bread a try, and let your taste buds dance with joy. It’s a celebration of the season, one delicious slice at a time. Happy baking!
Crumble Topped Apple Spice Bread
For the bread:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 ½ cups peeled, cored, and diced apples (about 2 medium-sized apples) plus an extra apple for optional garnish
For the crumble topping:
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven: Start by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour (or line with parchment) a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- Prepare the crumble topping: In a small bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, rolled oats, melted butter, and ground cinnamon. Mix until the ingredients are well combined and crumbly. Set this aside; it’s going to be the crowning glory of your bread.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and the cinnamon.
- In a separate, larger bowl, beat the softened butter and granulated sugar together until the mixture is light and fluffy. This usually takes about 2-3 minutes.
- One by one, add the eggs, beating well after each addition. Then, stir in the vanilla extract for an extra layer of flavor.
- Gradually add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredients, alternating with the applesauce. Start and finish with the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Gently fold in the diced apples into the batter. You'll love the pockets of tender, juicy apple in every slice.
- Pour the apple spice bread batter into the prepared loaf pan. Now, the pièce de résistance: sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the batter. It's going to add that wonderful texture and a hint of sweetness. If using the extra apple for garnish, cut in half and core and then slice thinly. Push a few slices into the batter with the red skin peeping out.
- Pop the pan into the preheated oven and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Be patient; the aroma that fills your kitchen is well worth the wait!
- Allow your Crumble Topped Apple Spice Bread to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely. The hardest part is waiting, but once it's cool, you can slice it and savor the flavors of fall.