I know that you and your family are going to love these easy Sweet Valentine’s Muddy Buddies! So easy, even the kids can make them!!
I love the holidays! Actually, let me correct myself…I love all the food that surrounds the holidays!! It’s Valentines Day in less than two weeks so we need to start thinking all things “heart-shaped”!! I thought about this recipe for muddy buddies that I made for the Oscars a few years back and then found similar Valentines Day inspiration from this post over at Crafting Morning! And that’s how this recipe for Sweet Valentine’s Muddy Buddies was born!!!
First things first, what exactly is a Muddy Buddie?
This classic chocolate, peanut butter and powdered sugar Chex Mix recipe has been a beloved part of families’ kitchens for years. Muddy Buddies are also known as monkey munch, puppy chow, muddy munch, reindeer chow, or doggy bag, and it seems the recipe originated in the United States, most likely in midwestern states. According to Hippie Food Mom, “the history behind Muddy Buddies: “Multiple Midwesterners happily shared stories of the prevalence of puppy chow going back to the ’60s, but General Mills, the owner and producer of the Chex cereal brand since 1996, says that the Muddy Buddies recipe was developed in 2002″.
What Will You Need To Make These Sweet Valentine’s Muddy Buddies?
- Chex cereal
- peanut butter
- chocolate chips
- icing sugar
- valentine-inspired candies!
A Quick Sweet Addition (totally optional):
While I was scouring my pantry for some cute red/pink add-ins, I found a half-eaten package of mocha wafer cookies. I also had some leftover pink candy melts from another project so I decided to make something with these things!
I cut the wafer cookies into 1″ pieces and then dipped them into the melted pink chocolate melts. I also found some pink sugar pearls to top them off…so cute, right??
You could totally make these on their own – wouldn’t they make a great little treat??
These Sweet Valentine’s Muddy Buddies are a great snacking treat for the family but it’s also a great treat to pack up and give away to your friends!! And, if you have neighbours with kids, this can be like trick or treat – but for Valentines 😉
It’s an easy dish to make – so easy that even the kids can do it!!
If you like these Sweet Valentine’s Muddy Buddies, maybe you’ll like these:
- How to Make a Sweet Charcuterie Board for Valentines
- 17 Unique Ideas for the Best Valentines Day Ever!
- Raspberry Heart Meringue Sandwiches
- Valentine’s Rice Crispy Monsters
- Winter Love Salad with Heart Shaped Crisps
Sweet Valentines Chex Mix
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, regular or natural (creamy works best)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 9 cups Chex cereal (one 395g box)
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 cup white and red/pink M&Ms smarties or other candy-coated chocolates
- sprinkles of your choice
- 1/2 cup peanuts optional
- 1/2 cup coconut optional
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips optional
- 6 wafer cookies, cut into 1" pieces and coated with melted pink melts (see photo above) (you could use melted white chocolate with a few drops of food colouring)
- In a medium microwavable bowl, combine peanut butter, butter, and chocolate chips and microwave on high for -2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until creamy and completely melted; add in the vanilla and stir again.
- In a large bowl add your cereal (and nuts if you are using) and pour chocolate mixture over cereal. With a spatula or wooden spoon, stir completely until mixture is complestely covered with the chocolate/peanut butter mixture.
- Cover and shake until cereal is evenly coated. Sprinkle powdered sugar over cereal. Cover and shake until evenly coated. Add M&Ms and sprinkles of your choice.